Mature Students

Mature Students

The term ‘mature student’ refers to anyone going to university or college after a time away from full-time education. Students who are over 21 years of age at the beginning of their undergraduate studies or over 25 years of age at the beginning of their postgraduate studies are classed as mature students. In 2020, 24% of the UK student population were mature students (Bolton and Hubble, 2021).

Why go to University?


There are many reasons to go to university. Doing a degree could enable you to specialise in a specific area relating to your current job, and increase your earning potential. On the flipside, it can allow you to make a complete change of direction, if you want  to explore work in other areas. It is also an opportunity to challenge yourself and develop your experiences.

Entry Requirements

The entry requirements for undergraduate degree courses are typically:

  • 5 GCSE’s at grade C or above (inc. Maths, English and for some courses, Science)
  • UCAS points from A Levels, Access or BTEC courses (these can be found on the course page)

We would always recommend to meet the typical entry criteria wherever possible in order to strengthen your application, however, some courses may be flexible from the normal offer if you have the relevant skills and experience and can show a commitment to succeed on the course. Submit a strong personal statement highlighting any skills and experience to support your application.


The majority of courses have foundation years, which we will automatically consider you for, should you not be successful for an undergraduate degree.

Historic Qualifications

Typically the university can consider qualifications, even if they have been obtained some years ago. We will just need copies of the qualifications to compare against current entry requirements. If you can’t find your qualifications, contact the exam board to get a replacement exam certificate or certified statement of results, as the university will need proof of qualifications ahead of enrolment onto your course.

Studying Part Time


You may wish to study part time if you already have a job or other commitments, but wish to gain a higher level qualification. There are over 140 part time courses at SHU. Check on the course page through the Hallam website for your year of entry and study mode to see if part time study is available for your course.


Some courses are only offered as full time due to the nature and intensity of the course. Part time study will take longer to complete and can be up to 6 years in length.


For students who wish to live on campus, applications for accommodation open in November for the
next academic year. You can view the accommodation available at Sheffield Hallam here.


We have flats suitable for mature students in all halls and aim to allocate these students together. Subject to availability, some of our halls offer self-contained flats/studios including your own cooking facilities.


We do not offer accommodation for families/those with dependants as halls are for full time students only. Those applicants are encouraged to find accommodation in the private sector.


Living on campus is not a necessity for university study, and many students of all ages choose to commute rather than move into halls.


The Collegiate nursery provides full day care for children aged 6 months to 5 years and is open to all, including University staff and students, and the wider community.

Express your interest: 

Or contact the team:

Phone: (+44) 114 225 2263

Financial Support

Head to our page on student finance to learn about the financial support available to all students. There are other financial benefits you could be eligible for:

City Campus, Howard Street, Sheffield, S1 1WB, UK